Wahalak, MS.

Wahalak, MS. 

 From Hewers Of The Wilderness:
"LATE IN THE EVENING of  November 14th,  an ox-wagon moved across open land, having only a few trees here and there; a spotted dog was trotting along the side of a man riding a pony behind a herd of seven cows. Jim could see a small hut in the far distance. It grew larger as the party approached it. Soon, there it was, an Indian hut! It was built of sticks and clay with one narrow door and a small window high in the back. There were several big oak trees nearby. Jim dismounted his pony and walked up to the door with his rifle in his hand. He called, "Anybody at home?"  There was no answer, everything was quiet. He entered the narrow door into the little hut, Spot at his heels. He came out soon and the ox-wagon was just outside, as he stepped out. Mary called, "What have you found?" "An Indian hut. They probably left it, when they went west. It has been vacant quite a long time," Jim said. "Let's look around here. It may be a suitable place to stop."

This is Twin Cemetery on Wahalak Creek.
An Indian hut has been overlaid on top of the knoll
looking over the creek This would be the approximate
location of the hut Jim & Mary found at Wahalak
in 1834.
This Indian Hut became the first home for Jim and Mary Vaughn in the newly opened Dancing Rabbit Treaty lands formerly the heartland of the Choctaw Indian Nation. The location is Wahalak, MS. and the site today is Twin Cemetery.  Wahalak hill became famous. The hilltop was a beautiful place for a town. A trading post was set up there, homes and churches were built; Wahalak became outstanding. It was the largest and prettiest town in East Kemper. With its cedar trees, flowers, honey bees and birds, this high hill with its long-range view of beautiful countryside gave an atmosphere of beauty to the happy people of Wahalak.

 A railroad was built through East Kemper. For better means of transportation,  Wahalak was moved to the railroad.  All that remains of Old Wahalak today is several foundations of bygone buildings and a forgotten cemetery. Old Forty five Highway goes over the crest of it. Nature carries on her flowers and honey bees and swaying cedar limbs in the soft breeze of the air.

The name Wahalak is derived from the old Choctaw people who lived in this area before the pioneers. The word "Wahalak" is an old Choctaw word that means "running water".

The Old Wahalak Cemetery Today
On US 45 N at Wahalak exit, take the right turn off onto old 45, go about 3miles until you  cross a big creek, go up a hill and there is a locked gate to the cemetery on the left. Through the gate about 1.5 miles and you come to the cemetery gate.   Note the ornate iron fencing, gate and the remarkable
grave stones.

Read more about Wahalak at the following link.
Wahalak, MS. - Extinct Towns Of Mississippi

Information Resources for this website include;
"The Conner Family" by W. E. Conner published 1975
"Crusade in Education" chapter 1 titled My Heritage - Published 1971 by John Earle Vaughn
Hewers Of The Wilderness-1st Edition by Jack Vaughn - Published 1958
Family History Genealogy Research by Lynn Till
Family Bibles

Post by Ray Vaughn
Vaughn Family History Webmaster

No comments:

Post a Comment